Friday, May 31, 2013

Halfway to Meeting Baby B!

I've contemplated starting a blog since before we got pregnant...here we are, halfway through the pregnancy, and I've finally decided I'd give it a go. The main purpose of this blog is to document the exciting moments of this pregnancy, the ups and downs of beginning this new chapter in our lives, and to document all of Baby B's milestones (at least for the first few years). I figure it's much easier/quicker than scrapbooking, and I can't wait to share this with our sweet girl when she's older.

WARNING: This next paragraph is a little..personal. So you may want to skip to the next one. I'll apologize in advance for this lengthy post, as I have several months to catch up on! Let's start with last November/December.  Scott and I met with a new doctor in late November/early December to find out what was going on with me (in short, we had been trying to get pregnant for several months and I had become irregular over the last couple of months). We were diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), the most common cause of infertility in women. I started on medication to correct this issue, and began monthly rounds of blood work to make sure I was getting back on track. The first week of February I went for my usual monthly blood work. On Thursday, they called with the results and as I expected, I was not pregnant. Skip to that Sunday. We were getting ready for the Superbowl party at our friends Brad and Lora's house. Since we had only been on the medication for 2 months, I wasn't really sure how long my cycle would be, but I knew it was already a couple of days longer than the month before. I secretly took a test before I got in the shower and hid it under the bathroom sink. I knew if Scott came in the bathroom and saw it, he'd laugh at me since the doctor had just told us days before that we weren't pregnant. As I was putting on my make-up, I remembered the test. I took it out and started to throw it away, when I thought I saw a very faint second line. Having taken 23423 tests over the past several months, I knew that there was definitely a second line there. I believe my only words to Scott when I walked in the kitchen were, "uhh honey, there's two lines on this test." Scott didn't want to get his hopes up and figured the test was messed up since the line was so faint. So after a few texts with a friend's mom who is the ultrasound technician at the doctor's office, she assured me I was most likely pregnant but it was very early. Two rounds of blood work later, it was confirmed that we were pregnant and all of my levels looked great! Needless to say, we were ecstatic.

The following weekend was my parents' anniversary, so we invited them over for an "anniversary dinner" and planned our surprise. At that time, Scott's mom was living at the beach to take care of her mother, but we found out that night (the night the blood work confirmed the pregnancy) that she had come home for a doctor's appointment. Knowing it would be several weeks before we saw her again, we decided to go see them. We took Louie with us and he delivered the big news when he told them he was going to be a big brother. I wish I had videoed Scott's mom's reaction - it was a combination of tears, jumping up and down, and spinning around in circles screaming. She was SO excited and of course, we were even more excited at that point to finally be able to tell someone! Holding this news from my mom through our girls date that evening and for the next few days nearly killed me, but I did it. We took this cute picture of Louie and had it framed for their anniversary. 

It didn't really go as planned though, since I had just told them the week before that my blood work was negative. They thought we were getting another dog. HA! Once they finally figured it out, there was lots of hugs, laughs, and many questions to follow. After dinner we called my brother and sister in law and my grandmother. Everyone was very excited!

The next several weeks dragged by as we kept it a secret from most everyone until the 12 week mark. We did tell a few close friends, including my friend Stephanie Aldridge who approached us to do a pregnancy announcement photo shoot. I am SO thrilled we did this, because we finally have official family portraits with our first-born, Louie, and such cute photos to document this exciting time in our lives! I can't wait for her to document the rest of this journey as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment